PERMANENT OUTDOOR DINING PROGRAM
OUR TEAM IS CONSIDERING A FULL-STREET APPROACH THAT ENCOMPASSES A DYNAMIC OUTDOOR DINING KIT OF PARTS. OUR PROPOSAL INCLUDES A SET OF FRAMES THAT ARE TRANSPARENT ALLOWING
UNOBSTRUCTED VIEWS OF THE STOREFRONTS AND STREET SIGNAGE, THAT FOLDS AWAY SEASONALLY (OR EVERY NIGHT), AND IS USED AS URBAN FURNITURE INSTEAD OF THE CURRENT BARRIERS. THIS ALLOWS STOREFRONTS TO ENGAGE THE STREET TOGETHER WITH THE RESTAURANTS AND THE PUBLIC. WE WILL ALSO BE SHOWING HOW THE CITY’S CATALOG OF STREET PIECES IS BEING USED TOGETHER WITH THE OUTDOOR DINING, AND HOW THEY CAN BE USED AGAIN, FOR THIS CONTEXT IN A SUSTAINABLE WAY.
1. ECONOMICAL KIT OF PARTS: IT WILL BE AFFORDABLE FOR THE RESTAURANTS TO ACQUIRE
2. SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT IN THE CITY: ALLOWING AN EXCHANGE BETWEEN THE PRIVATE AND THE PUBLIC REALMS WITH COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
3. ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS: USE NEW MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGIES TO HELP CREATE A MORE SUSTAINABLE CITY
BRIAN J PAPE, AIA, ARCHITECT AND CONSULTANT
GERMÁN BAHAMÓN, CO FOUNDER COLAB-19
RENDERS BY JULIA ANDOR, AIAS
Suggestion to the Guidelines: Small Streets
2. Use the Sidewalk Extenders for the platform
BENEFITS OF THE SIDEWALK EXTENDERS
1. For the business, it’s less expensive to install a new awning on their building, and laying down the city’s rubber modules, than constructing and maintaining an enclosure.
2. No need for the restaurant to dismantle a street enclosure and haul in furniture for nights and off-season.
3. Since all seating is next to the wall, lighting and heaters are easier to install and maintain.
4. Furniture can be secured to the building wall for overnight storage.
5. Sidewalk surfaces are easier to clean than other seating platforms.
6. Sight lines are restored and open, and with no structural obstacles, bike lanes and other amenities can be added next to the new extension curb.
7. When street work is needed, it’s easy to take up the modules and reset later.
The city may choose to add “gateway” corne